Saturday, December 11, 2010

Chicken Liver Spread

When I lived in Washington, D.C. one of my favorite weekly activities was to have Sunday brunch with friends and/or family. Whether at one of the many restaurants that offers a brunch menu or a friends house or entertaining at my own place, brunch was a weekly staple. This was also the time that I became a great lover of pate.


Now I'll be the first to admit that there are some really, really bad examples of pate out there and, unfortunately, I've tried a few myself. But, when it's done well, there's nothing better than a little pate spread thinly on a slice of crispy bread or a delicate cracker. A glass of Champagne or Prosecco only heightens the experience! 


At this time, I'm the only person in my household who likes pate. My wonderful hubby who typically loves most everything I make, even when I don't like how it turned out, won't even try it. My toddler tasted a small bite and hasn't yet come back for more - though I haven't quite given up on her. 


I have called this Chicken Liver Spread as I did not put it in a terrine nor did I seal it in a vessel with chicken fat, so we'll call it what it is - a spread. This recipe makes a rather large batch, so either find a few friends to share the goodness with you or plan to eat a lot of it quickly! I thought the results of this recipe were quite good. However, I still feel like something is needed to round out the flavor profile. If you give this recipe a try and have a suggestion, please let me know. When I discover the hidden ingredient needed to take this to the next level, I'll repost as Chicken Liver Spread II. Cheers!


Lisa's Chicken Spread I

  • 1/2 a large onion, small dice
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 1 lb Chicken Livers, rinsed, drained and cleaned
  • 1 small golden delicious apple, small dice
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tbsp ground thyme
  • 1 tsp rubbed sage
  • 1 tsp chopped garlic
  • 1-2 good squirts of dijon mustard
  • 3 tbsp bacon drippings
  • 2 hard boiled eggs, shell removed
  • salt and pepper to taste

In a large skillet with high sides, melt butter. Add onion, apple, thyme, parsley, sage and garlic to the skillet stirring to combine. Allow to cook over medium heat, stirring often, until onion is translucent but no color has formed. 

Add well-drained livers to the pan and stir to incorporate. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste and stir. Continue stirring often to ensure all livers are cooked through and no burnt spots develop. When livers are no longer pink, remove skillet from the heat and stir in bacon drippings.

Spoon skillet contents into the bowl of a food process that has been fitted with a chopping blade. Add egg and dijon mustard and pulse 10 times. Taste mixture for seasoning and adjust by adding more salt and pepper or dijon. Pulse again. When you're happy with the results, move the pate to a storage container. Allow the pate to cure overnight in the fridge. 

Serve the next day with toast points or crackers along side fresh fruit and good cheeses or cured meats. I had Rosemary Potato bread on hand and it was delish with this recipe!

Note:  The flavor of the pate is best if you allow it to come to just below room temperature before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment