Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Grandma's Spaghetti

I recently watched a PBS cooking show titled "Heritage Cooking". It was on during one of my usual PBS slots, so our DVR recorded it in error. You know me though, if it's a cooking show I'm going to give it a try, at least once, and boy am I glad I did. What an interesting show, all about family traditions in the kitchen and around the table and the value of passing those traditions down through the generations. The hosts also made some yummy looking recipes. 


As a result, I have been thinking about my own family's recipes and handing those down to our precious toddler, who already likes to be in the kitchen with me. So, I was inspired to share one of my own here.


My mother made spaghetti on a regular basis during my childhood. It's a pretty simple recipe and very much an Americanized version of the dish. However, since I grew up eating it, it's the epitome of comfort food. Even my darling hubby, who grew up eating the homemade pasta of his Italian immigrant grandmother and mother, has come to enjoy it. When I made it this evening for dinner - by the way, it's national spaghetti day, so I felt like we had to have spaghetti for dinner tonight! - I told our toddler that someday I would teach her to make "grandma's spaghetti". In the meantime, I'll post it here so that you can make it as well.


Just a couple of notes about the ingredients. One, the ground beef. Use what you like. I've used everything from plain old grocery store labeled "ground beef" to certified angus and ground bison. I've also used ground turkey and it works as well. I haven't tried ground chicken, but you can use it too and see what you think. 


Two, the spaghetti. No fancy imported noodles required here, again, use what you like or have on hand. I use a Gluten Free spaghetti noodle now, but have used plain old grocery store brand noodles in the past with excellent results. 


Finally, this dish is meant to be saucy, as opposed to spaghetti dishes you might find in an Italian restaurant where the sauce just lightly coats the pasta. This dish is downright soupy in comparison, but that's part of the charm of the dish. This makes it perfect for dunking chunks of warm garlic bread, or frankly soft white sandwich bread with butter, into the saucy goodness. What can I say, more comfort food from my childhood! 


Grandma's Spaghetti
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
Olive Oil
1 15/16 oz can diced tomatoes
3-4 cups tomato juice
1 package spaghetti noodles - 
2 large pinches dried oregano
Red pepper flakes, to taste
salt and pepper to taste


Place a large pot of water on high heat and allow to come to the boil while you begin making the sauce. When the water comes to a boil, add enough salt to flavor your pasta - chefs say that your pasta water should taste like the ocean, but I think this is personal preference. Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain the noodles and return them to the pot. Add a little olive oil and stir to coat the noodles.


To make the sauce, in a heavy bottom pot over medium heat, add a couple of tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil - not extra virgin, you want the oil, but not a predominant flavor from it - to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula into small chunks. Add salt and pepper to flavor the meat, stirring to distribute the seasoning. When the meat is no longer pink, drain the meat in a colander and return it to the pan. 


Add the onion, pepper flakes and oregano, crushing it in your hand to get the full flavor of the spice, to the meat and stir to distribute. Allow the meat/onion mixture to cook until the onions are translucent and soft. Add the tomato product and stir to combine. Allow the sauce to come to a simmer, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Allow sauce to simmer for a few minutes then taste for seasoning to determine if adjustment is needed. If your sauce becomes "salty" to the taste, add a bit of sugar. Sugar will also balance the acid in tomatoes so if the taste is off, add sugar 1/2 tsp at a time until you achieve a flavor you like.


Combine pasta and sauce by ladling over a bit of sauce and stir to combine. Add a little sauce at a time until you have a well sauced pot of spaghetti. Serve as is or with a grating of parmesan cheese. No green cans please!


~Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment