Monday, September 3, 2012

Weekend Roast Chicken

I laughed a bit when I titled this post. I was looking for a way to differentiate this roast bird from the crock pot version I make on week days, so, viola, it must be a weekend version!!! In theory, you could make this chicken in the crock pot too, I suppose. You'd miss out on the super crackly deep brown skin though and I'm not sure the wine would cook out to something mild and delicious, but hey, give it a try and let me know how it works out. Who knows, maybe there's a crock pot chicken two just waiting to be shared :)

I like to make this roast chicken when we have company, when I have extra time and want a special meal for my darling family, or when I just find myself craving it. It's super easy, so if you're in the cooking mood, you can add some special sides. I love to serve this with homemade mashed potatoes and steamed green beans. Risotto would be nice too since you can use the same wine in both recipes and get that symbiosis that makes food go together so well on one plate. 

If you find yourself in the fortunate situation of having leftover chicken -  sometimes the bird is just picked clean, as was the case the last time I made it for visiting family members - it's terrific in a simple salad or, a really good lunchbox sammie with slices of the chicken, some really good mayo and high quality bread (in our case, GF of course). 

Whatever you decide to add to the menu on the first serving or to do with the leftovers, please just make it. Yep, it's that good!

Weekend Roast Chicken

  • 1 good quality whole chicken, the best you can buy
  • 2 celery stalks, clean and cut into large chunks
  • 3 carrots, large, clean and cut into large chunks
  • 1 large onion, clean and cut into wedges
  • 1 bunch fresh herbs appropriate for poultry (sage, parsley, rosemary, thyme, etc.)
  • good white wine
  • fresh ground black pepper
  • Kosher salt
Preheat oven to 375. Arrange celery stalks, carrots, onion wedges and fresh herbs in the bottom of a heavy pan that has a tight fitting lid. I use my 5 qt Dutch oven or a ceramic baker that came with a lid. Wash your bird thoroughly, letting fresh cold water run through it until clear. Set the chicken on a stack of paper towel that you've placed on a plate, cutting board, etc. and dry it thoroughly with more paper towel. Set bird in the center of the carrot, celery, onion and herbs. Pour enough white wine in the pan that it comes an inch or so up the side of the bird. You don't want too much or the skin won't crisp nicely (I know, I've made that mistake). You want just enough to provide delicious steam for the bird to absorb while cooking and so that you have a lovely pan sauce when you're done. Cover the bird generously with salt and pepper, place the lid carefully on top and put the whole thing in the oven. 

Allow your chicken to roast covered for the first hour, then remove the lid and allow to roast uncovered for approximately 90 minutes or until the juices run clear. If you're having a bit of trouble getting the thighs and legs to fully cook, make an incision around the leg to let in more heat and allow this part of the bird to fan out a bit and finish cooking. I had to do this the last time I made this recipe and it really improved the cooking time, which meant that my chicken didn't dry out and everything was cooked through. 

I like my chicken to be well done, no pink even close to the bone and the meat is tender and soft. This way, I always get a juicy bird that come off the bone easily and makes carving and eating a breeze. 

Once the chicken is done, remove the pan from the oven. Place the chicken on a large plate, platter or cutting board (not the same one you used when it was raw!!!!). Place a strainer over a large bowl and pour the juices, veggies and herbs through it so that you capture all of the lovely juices that have collected in the bottom of the pan. Discard the veggies and herbs and place the juices back into the pan you cooked the chicken in or reserve for the second day if you don't want to serve pan sauce right away.

Place the pan with the juices on a burner and turn it to medium high. Allow the juices to come to a boil and reduce by 1/3. Add either a slurry of cornstarch and cold water or cream/half & half to the liquid (just a few tablespoons), some fresh chopped herb that you used in the bottom of the pan and, if you're really going for broke, a nob of butter (1 tbsp), unsalted of course. Taste sauce for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Serve along side bird.

One last little thought on this chicken. I've made it with all types of white wine, including the sparking variety like Champagne and Prosecco. What you get is generally a bit sweeter sauce, but a lovely bird that's fit for a special occasion. 

~Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment