Saturday, March 8, 2014

Clean Spring Veggie Soup (gluten free, dairy free, easy to convert to paleo and vegetarian/vegan)

I enjoyed our long winter for quite a few weeks. However, I've struggled the past two or three as I'm completely sick of wearing the same winter clothes over and over again. I'm tired of being all bundled up, so I've ditched my wool and down coats in favor of a Columbia jacket made for mild weather. Yesterday, I threw on a corduroy blazer and headed out the door without my gloves. Yes, I am ready for spring!

In an effort to hurry things along, I thought I'd make a super easy and tasty veggie soup for lunch today. Darling daughter has swim lessons on Saturday morning, so we do a quick and easy breakfast and then I make a more substantial lunch when we are back home. This recipe is perfect for a weekend as you can make it one day and have plenty of soup for the lunch box for the week. It's also very figure friendly and you can use pretty much anything you have in the fridge or freezer. Like veggies other than what I've used below? Make up your own version, this is really about using what you have on hand and turning it into something warm, filling, and healthy for your family. It's also pretty cost effective as I didn't have to buy any special ingredients and we have more room in the fridge because it's a great way to use up veggies that weren't used up during the week.

Lisa's Spring Veggie Soup

  • 3 Leeks, rinsed, white and light green parts only, prepped and well rinsed
  • 1 small sweet onion, diced
  • 2 bag petite carrots, roughly chopped
  • center stalks (lightest green with many leaves) of celery, washed and chopped - use the entire thing - stalks and leaves
  • 1/2 a bunch of Dinosaur Kale or other green, chopped (about 3-4 cups worth of greens)
  • 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 15 oz can organic chickpeas
  • 1 small bag of organic cut green beans
  • 1/2 a small bag of petite peas
  • 2 boxes stock - I used chicken, but you could easily use veg or beef
  • 2 cups water 
  • 2 tbsp oil- I used olive, but coconut would work too
  • 3 tbsp garlic (I use the garlic from a jar that you buy in the produce section)
  • 1/2 tsp ground marjoram
  • 3 small bay leaves
  • few stalks of fresh thyme, strip the leaves or 1/2 tsp dried
Place a large soup pot over a medium flame and allow the pot to begin to heat up for 3 to 4 minutes. Add oil. Allow oil to heat while you finish cleaning and preparing the leeks, onions carrots and celery. Add carrots, celery, leeks and onions to the pot along with the garlic, marjoram, bay leaves and thyme and 1/4 tsp of salt. Stir well to ensure vegetables and herbs are well distributed. Turn the flame to low and continue to prep veggies while the veggies and herbs cook. 

When the leeks and onions are transparent and the you can smell the herbs, add the stock and tomatoes, stir and cover the pot. Adjust the heat to medium. Leave soup to cook and the flavors to marry for 10 to 15 minutes with the lid on. 

The soup should be at a low boil when you add the kale or green of choice. Stir in the kale, green beans, peas and water. Cover and allow to cook on low for 10 to 15 more minutes. Remove the lid, add the chickpeas along with their juices. Stir again and taste for seasoning. Adjust to taste and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment