Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Chocolate, Banana, PB Bliss!

I was craving something chocolately, sweet and creamy and didn't have the inclination to make a baked treat from scratch, nor did I want to dirty up my kitchen to the level that baking usually requires. I tried to ignore my hunger pangs and my craving, but to no avail. So, I finally found myself in the kitchen starring forelornely in the pantry and fridge. I turned around and saw my blender, which thanks to my mom and dad has recently found its way from the top shelf of our pantry to the kitchen counter where it can be more readily used. 


I've been making plenty of smoothies lately. My wonderful daughter loves fruit and she's still teething, so something on the cold side often settles multiple issues for us. Likewise, my darling hubby and I have been indulging in smoothies made from yogurt, fruit and juice or milk in an effort to also eat more healthfully. Therefore, I decided that I could probably concoct something in my blender that would settle my craving, fill me up and be more healthy than the triple layer chocolate cake with chocolate icing from Shapiros that I had requested of my hubby as a pick up treat for me on the way home from work. 


The results were amazing! Creamy, smooth, tons of flavor, sweet, cold, chocolately, decadent.... you get the idea. This has to be my new favorite smoothie, I can see having it for breakfast, lunch or a snack. I'll be working on other variations as well to see if I can continue to lighten it up calorie wise, but as it is it's pretty darn good and hubby and baby both agreed!




Recipe:  Chocolate, Banana, PB Bliss Smoothie (Serves 2)


Place the following in your blender:

  • 1 cup plain low fat yogurt, organic if available
  • 1 cup low fat milk, organic if available
  • 1/4 cup Hershey's Lite Syrup (the kind you use to make chocolate milk)
  • 2 very ripe bananas (don't let this gross you out, they're sweet and you'll never know they had spots)
  • 1 cup ice 
  • 1/4 cup natural PB (we use Smuckers)


Blend all ingredients on High speed until mixture is homogeneous. Serve in 2 glasses and savor the yum!


~Hugs,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment