Sunday, May 15, 2011

Boo's Favorite Cranberry Orange Oatmeal

One of my all time favorite quick breads is orange cranberry. I used to make it with a mix, which wasn't bad, but am much more focused on calories, sugar consumption and cost today so I don't tend to keep mixes on hand. This morning our darling baby girl asked for oatmeal for breakfast, while contemplating which version of oatmeal to make her this time around I thought of my old fav quick bread and a star was born. Not only is this fast and super easy, but she (and I) loved it. Between bites she kept saying, "this is so good". So, I think it's going to become a staple for us. 


My recipe is below. I didn't know I'd have a "hit" on my hands, so didn't measure out the ingredients the way I would if I had been planning to develop a new recipe, so all measurements are approximate except for the water and oatmeal. 


I tend to make a large batch of oatmeal one weekend morning each week and then refrigerate any leftovers. I then reheat them either on the stove top or in the microwave with a little extra milk since the oatmeal absorbs all of the liquid while it sits in the fridge. This allows us to have a few quick, hot and healthy breakfast servings on hand to combat the time crunch we tend to experience throughout the work/school week.


Boo's Favorite Cranberry Orange Oatmeal (Makes ~6 Servings)
In a medium heavy bottom pot, placed over medium high heat, add 3 and 1/4 cups of water (enough for 4 servings of plain oatmeal) and a pinch of salt. Allow the water to come to a boil then add 2 cups oatmeal (quick cooking). Stir to combine and continue to stir frequently until oatmeal is thick. 


Once thick, add two large handfuls of dried cranberries (I used Craisins) and 1 cup of Orange Juice (I used Simply Orange), 1/4 cup Agave Syrup and 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Stir to combine. Allow oatmeal to continue to cook, stirring frequently, until it is again thick. 


Remove pot from heat and add 1 1/2 cups 2% milks and 1 teaspoon good vanilla extract. Serve.


~Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment