Monday, May 16, 2011

Orange Essence BBQ Pork Tenderloin

Over the past few months, I've been trying to plan our meals at home around veggies and complex carbs so that I rely less on meat to be the centerpiece. It's not that I don't like meat, quite the contrary. In fact, I started to feel as though meat had become the focus of all of our meals - home and away. So I've been trying to make more meatless meals, but hey, everyone once in awhile you have to splurge, right?


Yesterday afternoon I found myself in the local grocery super store in need of a quick healthy dinner for my family. The all natural (no hormones or antibiotics) pork tenderloins were on sale so I decided to make it one part of our meal and to incorporate as many veggies as possible to ensure that the meat remained a component of the overall meal and not the centerpiece.


Below is my menu from last night's dinner featuring the recipe I came up with for the pork. My dear hubby cooked ours on the grill (in the pouring rain no less), but you could do it in the oven if you don't want to or aren't able to grill it.


Menu
  • Veggie plate of cukes, orange bell pepper strips and grapes
  • Orange Essence BBQ Pork Tenderloin (recipe follows)
  • Steamed Sugar Snap Peas in Orange Vinaigrette
  • Roasted Organic Russet Potato Chunks
  • Fresh corn on the cob
  • Organic unsweetened applesauce
I plan to make the entree again, it was that good. The only thing I'd change the next time around is to allow more time for the meat to marinate. I'm also considering one of those injection contraptions so that the orange and EVOO flavors are throughout the meat while the BBQ rub creates a yummy crust on the outside. If I do, I'll update this entry and let you know which method produces a better tasting result.


Orange Essence BBQ Pork Tenderloin

  • 1 pork tenderloin 
  • Freshly squeezed OJ (about 2 cups)
  • 1/3 cup BBQ Rub (recipe follows)
  • 2 tbsp EVOO

In a large Ziploc bag, combine the OJ, BBQ rub and EVOO. Add the pork tenderloin and seal the bag. Massage the ingredients around the tenderloin to ensure the marinade is evenly distributed. Allow the tenderloin to rest in the marinade for 20-30 minutes.


Meanwhile, preheat your grill and clean grill grates. Once the grill is hot and the meat has had some time to marinate, remove tenderloin from bag and place on hot grill grates. While tenderloin cooks, turn frequently to ensure even carmelization of the rub on all sides. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes over medium heat until center of tenderloin is no longer bright pink and juices run clear.


Remove tenderloin to cutting board and tent with foil for 10 minutes to allow the juices to reabsorb into the meat before carving. Cut tenderloin into medallions and serve.


Lisa's Super Special BBQ Rub
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (any kind)
  • 1 tsp kosher salt or 1/2 tsp table salt
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder (not salt)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder (not salt)
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil (you could use oregano, marjoram or thyme too)
  • 1 tbsp mustard powder
Place all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and mix with a fork or a whisk until well blended and any lumps of sugar or smoked paprika have broken down. Keeps well in a sealed container - I use a glass jar with a tight lid - for up to a year. This rub is great on the pork tenderloin noted above, but also makes terrific BBQ chicken!


~Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment